The success of our HUGE recording day at the Mandurah Performing Arts Centre (ManPAC) Fishtrap theatre, marks the end of all recording efforts and the beginning of the movie production phase of the Each Moment project. It was a substantial undertaking over two full days, requiring a team twenty three helpers to organise, set-up and run the event, which involved a total of thirty four singers drawn from six Regional choirs and the Mandurah Concert band.
We captured an enormous amount of Hi Fidelity audio and High Definition video recordings. Video was taken in front of the green screens lent by one of our key sponsors, Rick Grigsby (the 3D computer imaging expert who will play a pivotal role in our movie production by generating 3D animated scenes). Video of the performers was captured from a total of six HD video cameras positioned internally. Backdrop video of the virtual stage - the surface of Mandurah water - was captured from five positions along the boardwalk outside the ManPAC building (video from a sixth position located on the tip of the shallow sand bar, looking back at the ManPAC building, will require wading and will be shot at a later date). Audio was captured from a total of eight microphones, each recorded onto a separate digital channel.
So many people to thank!
- Guy Boyce, General Manager, ManPAC and his technical team of Alex (Supervisor), Daniel (lighting) and Peter (sound). This recording session would not have been possible without access to a venue and the provision of technical support services such as these.
- John Hughes (Manager) and Rebecca Nelson (Arts & Cultural Development Officer) of the City of Mandurah, Libraries, Learning, Arts & Culture, who supported ManPAC with the provision of the facilities and technical support provided for this community development event.
- Tony Scraven, President, MCB and Jody Collett, acting President who squeezed this recording event into their busy program.
- Krispin Maesalu, Musical Director, Mandurah Concert Band (MCB), who generously contributed a concert band arrangement of Each Moment, directed the artistic proceedings of the recording day and conducted both the MCB and massed choirs in many recording 'takes'.
- Josh Haines, who accompanied, on piano, the massed choirs' recording takes. Josh was also the timpanist in the MCB.
- Members of the MCB, who practiced Each Moment so earnestly and then performed it so magnificently.
- Karen Reeves, who assisted Krispin with organising the massed voices.
- Members of five participating Regional choirs who gave up their time to come together, with Krispin's coaching, to form a unified choir of thirty four that matched the performance of the band. A special thanks to singers who traveled to Mandurah as representatives of ELM for the day.
- Rick Grigsby, our expert 3D computer imaging sponsor, who directed the work of the camera operators during the day.
- Barry Upjohn, our friend and audio enthusiast, who assisted with camera work and, more critically, worked with the sound technician (Peter) in taking charge of audio recording responsibilities.
- Our wonderful team of other family members and friends who donated their time and ENERGY when helping with the setting up of the venue on Saturday and running the video and audio recording activities on Sunday. They were (in alphabetical order):
Leigh van der Merwe
Live and love